Software bloat is a term used to describe the tendency of newer computer programs to leave a larger installation footprint, have many unnecessary features, or just generally use more system resources than necessary, while offering little or no benefit to its users. Bloatware or foistware, is also used to describe software that comes pre-installed on a computer when it is purchased, mostly consisting of time-limited trials or feature-lacking basic or beginner versions. Personally, we don’t consider unnecessary RAM/disk space to be part of software bloat, but badly written software and poorly designed products certainly are. In this new computing world, software bloat is more about creeping features and taking a simple system and over-engineering it. Here is our simple checklist of how to spot software bloat in most enterprise software:
- Sales guy claims millions of lines of code were written
- New software releases are six months or more apart
- There are millions of settings and preferences
- It takes an IT administrator to install, setup and manage the software
- Software comes with a training manual
- Software comes in countless different editions
- Software comes with a hardware spec that rivals a mainframe (from say 5-7 years ago)
- The feature list doesn’t fit on one page and contains things you don’t understand
- The primary difference between the old version and the new version is more, hard to find, features
- It’s from a company that is as bloated as the guy above!
MangoApps is a Team collaboration and Social Intranet Product Company that combines employee social networking, team collaboration tools and social intranet into one seamless platform. MangoApps is privately held and is based out of Bellevue, WA with offices in London and India. At MangoApps, we believe that the current set of collaboration tools restrict information distribution and are the exact opposite of what is needed to effectively work together. By seamlessly integrating new social intranet collaboration paradigms with existing methods, we enable a highly productive and open work environment that empowers and inspires employee engagement at all levels.