As early adopters to an employee social intranet and team collaboration software network, we can easily look back now and see how these tools have helped shape and develop our company’s own employee productivity. In fact, our company completly stopped using emails internally about three years ago. From then to now we have seen a growing upward trend in communication, collaboration, and productivity among our employees.
Our journey with an employee social intranet software started with a few status updates. These initially were few and far between, but eventually grew and became an everyday occurrence among employees. Along the way, we also got comfortable with other social intranet and collaboration features like posts, wikis, blogs, groups and projects and more.
What truly gave the platform it’s edge internally was the customer-centric focus. The customer feedback and response mechanism integrated within MangoApps keeps all team members up-to-date on customer-facing concerns. Unique issues faced by customers are seen and shared by all, and many end up as case studies or how-to guides for similar questions or concerns in the future.
But you don’t have to take our word that employee productivity increases with employee social Intranet/Collaboration software networks. Mckinsey also claims a 20 to 25% rise in of knowledge worker productivity with internal social technology. Let’s dissect this study further to understand how and why employee Social Intranet and Team Collaboration software increases employee productivity.
The Inefficiencies Of Hierarchical Organization
Businesses today need internal agility in order to remain competitive. The business world has mostly come to realize that large organizations and bureaucracies are generally ineffective. However, to some extent, a hierarchy is still required for a business to function, especially in large organizations. An employee social intranet or collaboration software minimizes most of the cons of a hierarchical structure. It reduces the power distance between the leaders and the employees, minimizes the inter-department communication barriers, gives employees the sense of a unified team and most importantly, employee voices are heard. In fact, it’s estimated that two-thirds of value creation opportunity is due to improvements in communication and collaboration.
Moving Beyond The Individual Contributor
In the new workplace, 40% of employees work with more than 20 people on a given day and more than 80% work with at least 10. Internal social software helps employees to tap into their network at work. Employee social networks provide a platform for employees to share their knowledge, experience, and resources in almost every area. The more connected employees are within the organization, the more complex problems they can solve.
Become Better Organized
Employee social networks bring much-needed structure to an intranet and help crowd-source information, keeping it updated and easy to track and find.
- Employee Social Profiles – Knowledge workers spend 38% of their time searching for information and are often located in various departments and time zones. Employee social intranet and collaboration software uses employee social profiles to build a community network and help everyone discover experts and new opportunities internally.
- Hash-tagging – Employee social intranet and collaboration software networks bring the ease and benefits of hashtagging into internal communication, making it easier to track and find relevant information.
- What am I going to do today? – Email vs Employee Social Networks was one of the most thrashed topics of 2012. However, very few people would disagree with the productivity-crushing power of reply all buttons. According to research at Basex firm, every 100 people needlessly copied onto an e-mail results in eight hours of lost productivity. Compare this to a dashboard view of an employee social network, and it helps employees start the work day off right.
Increased Productivity With Mobility
77% of the world’s population are now using mobile devices. Enterprise Mobility enables anytime and anywhere information access to employees, customers and suppliers, bring even more improvements in operational performances, employee productivity, and customer satisfaction. In fact, enterprise mobility has been seen to result in:
- 75% increased worker productivity
- 65% employee responsiveness and decision making
- 48% Customer Issue Resolution
- 42% Customer Satisfaction
Happy Employees Are More Productive
Social enterprises believe enabling and cross-functioning is a better way of conducting business. Happy workers result in a greater degree of employee satisfaction around their work and tare more productive. 2013 is the year of employee social networks, when are you getting started?